Violence in the family and in relationships has existed throughout history, but only in the last 30 years has domestic violence been recognized in intimate relationships. It was during the 1970's that the first shelters and services for battered women were established. Research suggests that nearly 25 percent of women will experience some sort of abuse in an intimate relationship and that 10 percent of those women will suffer from severe abuse. Domestic violence is considered a problem rooted in society and not in individuals. All social workers should recognize and understand the complex economic, emotional, cultural, and societal factors that keep women and family members in violent situations.
NASW-Michigan is committed to ensuring that all social workers have the resources and support they need to help clients who experiencing domestic violence. Members are invited to attend our monthly Physical and Sexual Violence and Women’s Issues (PSVWI) work group. The group meets the second Thursday of each month from 10:30am-12pm at the NASW-Michigan office (or by conference call). If you would like to be added to the group listserve please email Chair Erica Schmittdiel, LMSW at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence created a Michigan Domestic Violence fact sheet. This document has statistics for the State of Michigan as well as a listing of every domestic violence agency in the State organized by congressional district. The link for this resource is http://www.ncadv.org/files/Michigan%20new%202.09.pdf.
As social workers we need to be involved in issues of domestic violence and join in the awareness events of our areas. Below is a list of some of the Domestic Violence Awareness events occurring throughout Michigan in the month of October.
- October 2nd: “18th Annual Fall Festival” Allegan – Sylvia’s Place
- October 2nd & October 9th: “Behind the Mask of Domestic Violence” - Dowagiac & Centreville – Domestic and Sexual Abuse Services
- October 2nd: “Guy-Fi” Ann Arbor – Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center
- October 2nd: “Taste of Lapeer 2014” Lapeer – Lapeer Area Citizens Against Domestic Assault
- October 2nd: “Community Candlelight Vigil” Lansing – MSU Safe Place
- October3rd-October29th: “Clothesline Project” Petoskey - Women’s Resource Center of Northern Michigan
- October 3rd: “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” Adrian – Catherine Cobb Safe House and Domestic Violence Program
- October 6th: “Ride Against Abuse” Calumet - Barbara Kettle Gundlach Shelter Home for Abused Women
- October 11th: “Zombie Fun Run to End Domestic Violence” Paw Paw “Domestic Violence Coalition Inc.
- October 11th: “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes/5K and Fun Run” Battle Creek – S.A.F.E. Place
- October 12th: “Tailgate Party” Birmingham - HAVEN
- October 15th: “20th Anniversary Celebration” Lansing – MSU Safe Place
- October 17th: “Beacon of Hope: Gin and Jazz” Holland – Center for Women in Transition
- October 20th: “Behind Closed Shades Candlelight Vigil” Benton Harbor – Safe Shelter Inc.
- October 22nd: “Equal Means Equal” Ann Arbor – Safe House Center
- October 25th: “Evening of Elegance” Marquette – Women’s Center and Harbor House
- October 28th: “21st Annual Courage House Dinner” Detroit - HAVEN
- October 30th: “No MORE” Holland – Center fo5r Women in Transition