HB 4714 proposes:
- Expand Medicaid. Currently ineligible non-disabled adults within the income guidelines (earning less than 133% of the Federal Poverty Level) will become eligible to enroll in Medicaid or seek private insurance.
- The Department of Community Health has to develop incentives for “healthy behavior” and for “helping detect fraud and abuse.”
- Enrollees must contribute as much as 5% of their annual income to their coverage (via copays, deductibles, or premiums), paid into a health savings account.
- Non-disabled adults would face a 48-month lifetime limitation on Medicaid insurance coverage (not including time currently on Medicaid).
Please take the time to contact your legislator, especially if they are a member of the Michigan Competitiveness Committee (see list below). Let them know how Medicaid expansion will affect you or those you know.
Tell your legislator to:
- Expand Medicaid
- Remove the 48-month limit
- Remove the 5% fee component
- Create a comprehensive wellness program that includes everyone.
Link to full bill: HB4714
Link to Michigan League for Public Policy analysis: MLPP
More info: ExpandMedicaid
Michigan Competitiveness Committee Members:
Mike Shirkey (R) Committee Chair, 65th District
Ken Yonker (R) Majority Vice-Chair, 72nd District
Gail Haines (R) 43rd District
Kevin Cotter (R) 99th District
Frank Foster (R) 107th District
Ray Franz (R) 101st District
Ken Goike (R) 33rd District
Dan Lauwers (R) 81st District
Tom Leonard (R) 93rd District
Dave Pagel (R) 78th District
Paul Clemente (D) Minority Vice-Chair, 14th District
Jim Townsend (D) 26th District
Andy Schor (D) 68th District
Harvey Santana (D) 9th District
Kate Segal (D) 62nd District