- Always look for a CE approval statement from the course provider before you register for continuing education offerings, here is a list of the approvals that are recognized by the Michigan Social Work Board:
- MICEC – Michigan Social Work Continuing Education Collaborative
- ACE/ASWB – Association of Social Work Boards
- Another state’s Board of Social Work
- If a course is listed at the Collaborative website, www.socialworkcec.com then it is approved, there is no need to call and double check. You should call however if a provider has listed the course as “pending” approval.
- Other NASW state chapter approvals are not recognized by Michigan’s Social Work Board. NASW courses that are approved by the Collaborative or NASW courses that are approved by another state’s Board of Social Work are recognized. I know it seems to be confusing at times; again you can call if you are not sure.
- Course providers should be giving every attendee proof of attendance. If they do not supply you with proof of your attendance, please ask them for proof. In the event that the State of Michigan audits your continuing education compliance you will be asked to provide proof of your participation.
- For those of you using the NASW CE Tracking service, please keep in mind that you can only count the CE hours that were approved and that the courses were taken within your licensure cycle.
For example: If your license expires on 4/30/11 then you could begin accumulating your continuing education hours as of 5/1/08. If your license expires on 4/30/11 you could begin accumulating your continuing education hours as of 5/1/08.
* Please note that you cannot count any continuing education hours prior to your licensure cycle date.
* You are not limited to earning only 15 CE hours per year.
Robin Simpson can be contacted at 517-487-1548, ex 17 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.